Compensation according to Article 67 of The Town Planning Law in Cyprus L90/1972 Category: Town Planning-Building Problems and Solutions in Cyprus
Compensation according to Article 67 of The Town Planning Law in Cyprus L90/1972
Category: Town Planning-Building Problems and Solutions in Cyprus
The Town Planning Department in Cyprus according to the article 67 of the Town Planning Law L90/1972 can proceed in an expropriation for various purposes such as widening of roads, erection of buildings etc.
The question is how the owner of the affected land can object in this notification for expropriation and what deadlines exist in this procedure according to article 67 of the L/90/1972?
- After the Town Planning Decision is notified to the owner of the affected property then within six months the affected owner has to express an objection to this notification. The objection though is not so simple. It is strongly recommended for the owners to always get a legal advice regarding this procedure. The objection that will be sent has to be in a certain form which is always accompanied with a proper valuation from Chartered Surveyors and a proper Town Planning Report from Town Planners from the private sector that will add to the standard form given by the Town Planning Department.
- The Minister of Interior in certain cases can extent the objection period only in cases of illness or absence from Cyprus and only if this can be proven
- After the proper submission of the objection the Town Planning Department in Cyprus has six months to answer to the affected property owner whether they accept or not the objection.
- In the case that negotiations are taking place between the property owner and the Town Planning Department after the date of the notification, and within six months an agreement is not reached between them, then the property owner can file a lawsuit to claim all amounts that are fair and reasonable according to the advices from Lawyers, Expert Property Valuers – Chartered Surveyors and Town Planners in Cyprus.
- In the case that Town Planning Department is Cyprus will not accept the objection then the property owner is notified that the request is not accepted within the six months.
- The property owner after the objection has three months to file a lawsuit in Court or else after the three months pass then the right to claim compensation is lost.
Our Firm has a team that consists of Expert Lawyers and Legal Consultants in Property related matters accompanied with Town Planners and Chartered Surveyors with some decades of experience.
We strongly advice all of our customers when they face problems like this to always ask for professional advice as these matters are very detailed and require a lot of technical skill, knowledge of the procedures and experience.