Children Custody and Communication

Protecting what matters most to you.
Michalaki, Pitsillidou & Co LLC > Practice Areas > Family Law > Children Custody and Communication
children custody

Child Custody in Cyprus: Understanding Legal Procedures and Parental Rights

Navigating child custody matters in Cyprus involves adhering to the Parents and Children Relations Act of 1990, the Family Law Act of 1975, and Cyprus Family Law regulations. In Cyprus, child custody is typically joint, emphasizing shared parental responsibility even after divorce.

Here’s an overview of key aspects:

Filing a Custody Petition

When disagreements arise between parents regarding the upbringing of their children, one parent can initiate a custody petition through legal counsel (a child custody lawyer). This petition, submitted to the District Family Court, outlines custody rights and communication rights, culminating in a Court Order.

Types of Custody

The Court determines custody based on the welfare and interests of the children involved. Types of custody include shared custody (joint legal custody), sole custody, or exclusive custody.

Court Jurisdiction

The Family Court where the children have permanent residency holds jurisdiction over custody cases, whether the parents are divorced or separated.

Gaining Sole Custody

A father seeking sole custody must demonstrate that it serves the children’s best interests and is not solely in favour of one parent. Factors considered include the children’s age, their preference (if mature enough), and their current residence and environment.

Timeframe of Custody Petitions

The duration of custody proceedings varies depending on individual circumstances and parental cooperation. Parties can expedite the process by reaching an agreement.

Procedure for Custody Petition

Custody petitions include case-specific details and reasoning. After filing, the Respondent is served, and they may choose to attend Court proceedings or appoint legal representation. Failure to appear results in the case proceeding to proof, where a Welfare Office report may be considered.

Rights in Case of Abandonment

Abandonment of children is a legal concern. In cases of poor custody practice by the mother, the father can file a petition to assume custody under specific circumstances outlined by the Court.

Legal Guidance

Our firm specializes in family law matters. For personalized legal advice and assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Need Help?

If you need any assistance, please feel free to contact us through the following form and we will contact you within 24 hours.

Ioannis Michalaki

Ioannis Michalaki

CEO, Partner
Elena Pitsillidou

Elena Pitsillidou

Managing Director, Partner